Halloween is right around the corner! In efforts to keep in theme of my favorite holiday, I wanted to talk about “Sunday Scaries!” It’s that dreadful feeling of returning back to work on Monday. It’s the anxiety that starts to build as soon as you wake up Sunday morning, and it can even start as soon as Saturday night! Especially after you’ve had a busy weekend of social events, kids’ activities, or just not having enough time for yourself.
The timing of this post couldn’t be more perfect. I am returning to work tomorrow! I found a job at a local wine startup company doing inventory management and branding the customer pickup experience. I’m excited to help build a company from the ground up, but I’m also sad that my 6-month vacation is now over.
Back to the topic at hand! With me returning to work on Monday, I am going to be struggling just as much as you are! Here are 5 ways to reduce those anxious feelings!
- Create a Sunday ritual. Do things that fill you up so you look forward to Sunday, rather than thinking about how terrible Monday is going to be. Read a book or blog, spend time with family & friends, indulge in some retail therapy, go to brunch, spend time outside, meet a friend for coffee, create something, build something, go to the park with your children, or binge watch a show on Netflix. Just do something that brings you joy so your mind doesn’t have space for negative thoughts.
- Clean your room! We start and end our day in the bedroom. It’s so important to keep this space cozy and tranquil. Going to sleep in a clean room Sunday night promotes feelings of relaxation and you wake up in the morning to a calm space. Your Monday mornings are less likely to be chaotic. You’ll be able to find everything you need so you’re not late for work. Studies show that clutter adds mental and psychical stress so keep your room tidy. Bonus points if you make your bed!
- Drink water. Easy, right? It’s so easy that we often forget to do it. I’m sure you’ve had a few drinks this weekend. Drink a big glass of water after an evening of cocktails. Repeat first thing the next morning. Extra points if you add 3 drops of lemon essential oil in your water*! Say goodbye to hangovers! Dehydration is often the culprit to headaches, dry mouth, and fatigue. You’d be surprised how much water can help your body with many common ailments!
- Plan your Monday morning. Wake up early and move your body. Go for a quick 10-15-minute walk. Take a moment for gratitude, prayer, or mindfulness. Work enables you to pay for things you love and helps provide for you and your family. Next, make a breakfast that you look forward to eating. Try a new smoothie recipe or stop by Starbucks to indulge in your favorite drink. Lastly, I recommend skipping the news on Monday morning because it can feed into anxious feelings and you don’t need that in your life! Ease into your commute by listening to your favorite music, audiobooks, or podcasts. Some of my favorite podcasts release new episodes on Monday.
- Still feel bad? If you still have anxiety after several weeks of implementing these simple habits, then it may be time for some self-reflection. It could be a sign of a more serious underlying condition. Perhaps you are in a job that isn’t the right fit for you? Working in a toxic environment can wreck havoc on your health. Long term stress can lead to depression, digestive problems, weakened immune system, heart attacks, stroke, high blood pressure, weight gain, increased drinking, sexual disfunction, menstrual problems, hair loss, acne, eczema, insomnia, and fatigue. Seek medical attention immediately and get the support you need. Start by talking to your family practitioner and create an action plan for your health. Evaluate if it’s time to start taking depression or anxiety medication. Your doctor can prescribe you medication or recommend a therapist. Next, spend your Sundays planning an escape plan that makes sense for you and your family. Update your resume and start applying for new jobs that pique your interest!
I hope you find these tips helpful. Comment below and tell me how you cope with your Sunday Scaries!
Images were created by Positively Present. Follow them on Instagram @positivelypresent for some mental wellness inspo!
Follow me on Instagram @jessicaramoswellness.
*I only recommend doTERRA essential oils for ingestion. Do not ingest any essential oil that you can buy on amazon or retail stores. If it doesn't have a supplement fact on the label, then DO NOT INGEST IT!